We’re go for the return of IRL SouthEast LinuxFest at the normal date of the second weekend in June. A few things to get out of the way off the top as we get back to normal from COVID:
- This will be a community heavy year. Clarity that we’d fully open didn’t happen until March/April, which is typically too late in the game for corporate sponsors and conference budgets to have returned to normal. We’ve had some sponsors reach out proactively, but we expect the corporate participation to be lighter than normal this year.
- While there are still some mask mandates in effect for the Charlotte, NC metro area, they are all set to expire well before SELF. We do not anticipate any mask mandates being in effect. SELF will not have a mask mandate of its own for attendees. You are free to wear a mask if that is your personal preference.
- SELF will not be enforcing a vaccine mandate on attendees. That decision is between you and your health care professional. Having said that, SELF encourages you to be vaccinated against COVID particularly if you have comorbidity factors, are in an at risk group, or just want peace of mind.
The Call For Speakers is now open, with early decision acceptances made on 5/7 and 5/14 and a final deadline to submit of 5/21. All decisions for speakers will be made by May 22nd. We strongly encourage you to get your submissions in for early decision!
The Call For Sponsors is now open.
The Room Block at the Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel is now open for you to reserve your room.
Registration will open after the speakers have been selected and a draft schedule published (5/23-ish). There will be a requested new attendee type this year: Individual Sponsor. Individual Sponsors will have all the same bonuses as Supporting Attendees but they also get access to our hospitality suite during the event.
Confirmed Special Events at SELF 2022 at this time:
– LAN Party (Friday through Sunday)
– Retro Linux Ragchew
– Craft Beer Bottle Share (Friday/Saturday night)
– Ham radio special event station W4L (we send QSL cards!)
– FREE ham radio license testing
– GPG key signing
– Geeks With Guns (Held at Blackstone Shooting Sports, details available when registration opens)
– /dev/random Track (Non-FOSS content still of interest to geeks … past talks include building your own house and the Battle of Jutland)
– Onion Futures Market Track (Non-FOSS content focused on high level intellectual discourse and self-improvement and where free speech is encouraged)
The theme for 2022 will be Chmod 777: License To Be Killed. The conference t-shirt will be a t-shirt tuxedo with a tux in the breast pocket.